There are many ways to create music. I primarily use improvisation. Normally reserved for jazz solos, I use it to create entire tracks/songs (melody, chord structure, style and rhythm). This is all done on the fly, in real time. This is very fast. Of course, there is a need for arrangement later for some tracks. After using this method to create over 200 recorded tracks, even repeated music form (i.e.; chorus repeated twice) can be improvised if you can remember the themes used for the verse or chorus in real time.
- chord patterns tend to repeat leading to songs that “all sound alike”
- melody lines created “after” chord patterns have been written tend to be boring and not memorable
- Improvises are normally at a tempo slower that the final production
- Who else uses improvisation as primary method for song creation?
- Name other composition methods